BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Homemade Sushi...in Oklahoma?


Let me first say that this is not the melt-in-your-mouth salmon nigiri that you get at Fuji. We just aren't quite brave enough for raw fish from the local Wal-Mart. Call us yellow if you want, it just doesn't sound appetizing. We use shrimp tempura, and not even home made. Nope, this stuff comes frozen out of a box...but hey, it works!

Tempura

Rice

Nori (the seaweed wrap)
The brand they have at Wally World is Sushi Party. You've gotta love that Japanese packaging!

Spread the rice onto the nori.
You can be rough with the rice while spreading it on, but be gentle with
the nori because it will be very fragile until it's been warmed by the rice. Leave a small strip on the end without rice so that the nori has a place to stick together, closing the roll.


Wasabi
A lot of people don't like this stuff. It's not really spicy, but it has sinus clearing qualities. It's not something that I can describe with words. I love it.

Rice vinegar. (very important)
You need to dip your knife blade in rice vinegar every time you cut a slice of the sushi roll, otherwise the rice will just stick to your blade, making it dull and crushing the roll.




Here is our sushi! Ours were very simple this time, but we usually add avocado and hot house cucumber. You can add anything you want to them. Get creative!

7 comments:

Dionne said...

Oh how fun! I love the packaging too. I have never made my own sushi, just a fruit dessert that was made to LOOK like sushi, but never the real deal.

Bonzai Beadwear said...

That looks really good!!

We Blog Artists said...

OMG....YUM...my favourite type of food...I used to make my own california rolls and then I gave birth to 2 girls...they demand more of my attention now than the kitchen does...but, they're 5 and 3 and am thinking they're close to the age where they may find it fun!
Thanks for visiting my blog...am now following yours!
Char

Raven said...

If you ever come out to Los Angeles, hit me up. Me and the hubs will take you guys to our very FAVOURITE sushi place. I'm so into sushi and I could eat at this place every single day! :)

Your sushi looks like yummy fun. I'll have to try making my own some time too.

xxx

Cat Soup said...

There's a place here called Fuji and their food is unreal. <3

Camille said...

Oh my goodness! After this, I might attempt sushi again. I had no clue you are supposed to dip the knife in rice vinegar. No wonder I smooshed the roll trying to cut it during my last attempt!

Cat Soup said...

That'll do it Camille. Glad I could help someone with sushi rolls. :)